Ryman League Veterans Cup 2015-2016

1st Round
Oakwood Vets 5 – Middlesex Wanderers 7

Finally this game was played after some unfortunate weather had postponed this game on a couple of occasions. Middlesex Wanderers travelled to the game in Sussex with five new debutants along with the main regular squad. Wanderers outscored their opponents as defences went missing for much of the game as the quality of finishing from both sides was of the highest order.

Wanderers took the lead twice in the first half only to be pegged back and then go behind in a very even contest. Only Rob Devonald defended with any purpose at the back. Wanderers had Knight, Hammatt and Richards pulling the strings with Danny Grey and debutant Graham Lamb flying down the flanks. Ivan Spikin, looking resplendent in orange, donned the gloves for the first time in his career to fill a gap but there wasn’t a lot he could have done for any of the goals during the evening. With Middlesex boasting up to £80,000 of transfer fees for its forwards, Chris Moore and Danny Hockton, managed to level at 3-3 just before the break..

After some choice words from manager Nicky Ironton Wanderers came out with a spring in their step and immediately stepped up the pace with the threat of Moore and Hockton quite evident with Wanderers creating chances every time they went forward. Goal from the potent front two sent the visitors 6-3 up with 20 minutes to go and looking safe. Wayne Duck came on for Lamb to sit in the midfield. A missed penalty by Moore looked to have proved costly as Oakwood started to create good chances and scored two to reduce the arrears with Ward and Scarborough at sixes and sevens. Oakwood could have indeed equalised but Spikin made some good saves before Wanderers hit their seventh to finally finish the game but even then they had to survive a few scares..

A memorable game probably more for the lady who kept getting out of her car to get the ball when a wayward shot hit the car park. If you wanted goals you got them here but the holders will be expecting a better defensive display in the next round. MWAFC: Ivan Spikin, Steve Ward, John Scarborough, Rob Devonald, Dan Grey, Graham Lamb, Bryan Hammatt, Spencer Knight, Jamie Richards, Wayne Duck, Chris Moore, Danny Hockton Att: 10

Ryman League Veterans Cup 2014-2015

1st Round
Lesiton 2 Middlesex Wanderers 2 (Wanderers win 4-2pens)

Middlesex Wanderers, the holders, pulled off a remarkable win on Sunday to reach the quarter finals of this competition winning a dramatic penalty shoot-out after 90 minutes of sheer guts and determination but more importantly, with great thought and precision. On arriving at a rather wet Leiston manager Eddie McCluskey found this team with an uphill battle from the start with only 10 players arriving after the goalkeeper failed to arrive and then a further two players pulling out without making it. Steve Portway, a centre forward by trade, donned the gloves as the Wanderers went with a 4-4-1 formation.

The singing of “The Lamb” roused the team for battle as Leiston lined up with a full team and four substitutes and lots of playing time together. The Wanderers on the other hand were just getting to know names having been thrown together.

The tone of the game was set as Leiston enjoyed the lion’s share of possession as the Wanderers sat back and soaked up the pressure like the proverbial sponge looking to hit on the break. Asa Pamplin was the main targets for all kicks when Portway and Ironton could reach him and he led that line superbly with Bryan Hammatt and Marvin Samuels trying to get up around him when they could. Despite all Leiston’s play they never really threatened Portway in goal. Right back Nicky Ironton was pacing himself for the 90 minutes ahead but rolled back the years to show that you can’t beat experience with some great tight balls into feet. However he stiffened up after 15 minutes but still managed his game beautifully.

Ex Billericay man Jimmy Prue snuffed out any attacks down the Leiston left hand side whilst providing great channel balls for Pamplin to hold up. Wanderers got into the game a little more and fashioned a good chance which Hammatt put over and indeed the same player was a whisker away from giving the Wanderers an unlikely lead when Steve Ward followed a ball into Pamplin who set it back to him to skip way down the right hand side. The ball across the 6 yard box was just inches away from Hammatt’s boot. As the half wore on Leiston themselves had a couple of chances. Centre half Ward made a desperate tackle to deny a good chance and Portway dealt with a couple of shots. Despite the possession The Wanderers looked assured and with Matt Carbould dealing with everything aerially at set pieces and snuffing out anything to feet the home side became a little frustrated. Right on half time Wanderers took the lead. Marvin Samuels managed to get free down the right and sent in a cross which looked to be going out but sailed over the surprised keeper and into the net. After all the Leiston possession the Wanderers had played the perfect half.

In the second half with the visitors kicking down the slope the game began in similar fashion to that of the first and Leiston drew level immediately when a cross from the right deceived Portway in goal and in similar fashion to the Wanderers goal found its way into the net. Leiston could sense that maybe the Wanderers best chance of winning was to hold onto the 1-0 lead and came at the visitors time and time again. Ivan Spikin and Jimmy Sullivan were covering the back four well as Hammatt and Samuels covered every inch of mud. Leiston were unlucky not to take the lead as they rattled the post soon after scoring and put in cross after cross. Pamplin could have given the Wanderers the lead after a sporadic foray forward saw him clear through on goal but his shot narrowly went over the bar. Ward was picking his moments to get forward from the centre half position and another darting run down the right saw him pick out Pamplin whose header was saved by the keeper. Hammatt and Samuels were exerting their authority against all the odds with unbelievable work rate to get the team into the game with good interchanging passing and bold runs. Carbould and Prue were like rocks at the back putting in a good shift and making it hard for anything to penetrate.

With about 20 minutes to go Wanderers took the lead for the second time. Samuels picked up the ball into midfield and spotted Ward breaking forward down the right who beat the full back and ran 30 yards before pulling the ball across the box where it got a slight deflection and rolled nicely to Hammatt who expertly side footed the ball into the bottom corner to give the visitors the lead.

It was real backs to the wall stuff as Leiston pressed forward and they won a number of free kicks in dangerous positions which Portway held onto or saw go wide. On one attack a Leiston player cut inside and curled a shot into the far corner only for Portway to remarkably push the ball to safety in a Banksesque moment. The midfield had to earn their corn and sat and waited for Leiston to come on. Spikin put in some good challenges and both he and Sullivan protected the full backs. With 90 minutes approaching Leiston dealt a hammer blow to the Wanderers. The ball was worked from right to left and the cross found a Leiston forward to tuck away the shot past a despairing Portway to send the match into extra time. With Eddie McCluskey not wishing to get his trainers dirty he left it to the players to sort out the penalties.

Leiston stepped up first and with Portway (or was it Grobbelaar?) dancing on the line………. the ball sailed over the bar! Ironton, Ward and Carbould duly converted for the visitors before Portway made a great stop to allow Hammatt to seal the game in true “Escape to Victory” fashion. It was a great performance against all odds.

Team: Portway, Ironton, Prue, Carbould, Ward, Spikin, Sullivan, Samuels, Hammatt, Pamplin.

Ryman League Veterans Cup 2013-2014

Veterans Cup
1st Round
Metropolitan Police 3-8 Middlesex Wanderers 6th Nov
Bury Town 1- 4 Leiston 19th Nov
Waltham Abbey 0-5 Northwood 23rd Oct
Aveley                  Enfield

Semi Finals
Aveley 3 – 6 Middlesex Wanderers
Leiston             Kingstonian

Middlesex Wanderers 3 – 1 Kingstonian 7th May

The Middlesex Wanderers beat Kingstonian 3-1 to win the Ryman League’s Robert Dyas Veterans Cup and add it to the countless trophies the sporting ambassadors have won over the last century.

Steve Ward, Middlesex Wanderers’ assistant secretary and player, is pictured collecting the competition’s trophy, sponsored for the first time this season by Robert Dyas, at last Saturday night’s banquet and ball at the London Wembley Hilton from Ryman League Chairman Alan Turvey and Theo Paphitis, Chairman of The Ryman Group, title sponsors of the Isthmian League.

As well as the Ryman Veterans Cup, the homewares retailer also sponsored the Robert Dyas League Cup, the Robert Dyas Disability Cup and the Robert Dyas Youth Play-off Cup for the first time this season.

Ryman League Veterans Cup 2012-2013

Veterans Cup
Round Two
Metropolitan Police 4-2 Kingstonian 24th Oct
Three Bridges 2-4 Middlesex Wanderers 11th Nov
Walton Casuals Burgess Hill Town
Northwood 5-0 Leiston 21st Oct

Semi Finals
Walton Casuals v Northwood 13th Mar
Middlesex Wanderers 0-3 Metropolitan Police 27th Feb

Metropolitan Police v

Ryman League Veterans Cup 2011-2012

Veterans Cup
Round Two
Metropolitan Police 0-4 Kingstonian
Leiston 1-4 Middlesex Wanderers Report
Walton Casuals 1-3 Thamesmead Town
Burgess Hill 6-1 Crawley Down

Semi Finals
Kingstonian 7-2 Burgess Hill Town 29th Feb
Thamesmead Town 1-3 Middlesex Wanderers 28th Mar

Kick Off 3:00pm

Final 29th April @ Enfield Town FC
Kingstonian 4 v 1 Middlesex Wanderers Report


WANDERERS REACH THE FINAL : Thamesmead Town 1 Middlesex Wanderers 3

Middlesex Wanderers has reached the Final of the Ryman Veterans Cup with a comprehensive victory over Thamesmead Town at Baylis Avenue on March 27th.

Following an early scare when Goalkeeper Steve Dickinson was stranded on the A1 with a breakdown, Steve Portway gallantly agreed to go in goal. He was superb throughout this entertaining game.

Wanderers took the lead on 26 minutes when an excellent through ball found Paul Cobb who easily beat Thamesmead keeper Keith McMahon. Despite the Wanderers dominance of the gamer Thamesmead equalised in the 54th minutes when the ball took a wicked deflection leaving Steve Portway stranded. Within a minute Wanderers had restored the advangate when Bryan Hammett scored. The game was made certain in the 89th minute by Miguel De-Souza.

Wanderers play Kingstonian in the Final on Sunday 29th April. The game being played at Enfield Town at 3pm.

Match Report 27th Nov 2011 Second Round
Leiston 1 v 4 Middlesex Wanderers

Back Row: Eddie McCluskey, Lee Goodwin, Steve Ward, Lee Prothero, Craig Davison, Steve Dickenson, Colm Hickey
Front Row: Foster Percil, Paul Cobb, Brian Hammett, Mark Salmon, Marvin Samuels, Dave Flint